Fact: Roasting makes food delicious.
Fact: Many people who hate – hate – bitter vegetables like broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower, will eat them roasted. Some haters will love the roasted vegetables. Some will be able to tolerate them. Both are a step away from hate. Both are good.
Fact: Roasting brings out the natural sweetness in vegetables – it’s as close to veggie candy as you can get without inserting skittles genes into their DNA.
So what is roasting anyway? It’s cooking food with dry, indirect heat. If it sounds a lot like baking, you’re right – it is basically the same exact thing as baking.
We choose the term depending on the desired outcome. According to Smart Kitchen, when we want to cook something with fat at high heat so that it’s brown and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, we roast. Roasted foods tend to be solid and firm to start, like meat or vegetables. When we want to cook food with a little fat and help it grow by forming gasses and steam, we bake. Those foods tend to have little structure to start, like cookie dough, bread dough, or cake batter. The My Recipes expert says that roasting is the preferred term for savory foods and baking is the preferred term for…baked goods.
Learning is fun, right?
Here are 30 recipes that call for roasting – the perfect way to enhance fall and winter’s hearty root vegetables and warm up your kitchen with a cozy meal.
1. Roasted Cranberries & Quinoa Oatmeal – Love & Zest
2. Chia Pudding with Maple Roasted Figs and Toasted Walnuts – Kara Lydon, The Foodie Dietitian
3. Creamy Maple Roasted Almond Butter – Running With Spoons
4. The Best Roasted Almonds – Caroline Kaufman Nutrition
5. Roasted Grape Crostini With Goat Cheese and Walnuts – Healthy Seasonal Recipes
6. Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup with Maple Roasted Chickpeas – Two Peas and Their Pod
Simple Vegetables & Side Dishes:
7. Oven-Roasted Cauliflower Florets – Food & Wine
8. Oven-Roasted Sweet Potato Fries – Gimme Some Oven
9. Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Pecans – Harvard School of Public Health
10. Roasted 2-Ways Potatoes – The Fountain Avenue Kitchen
11. Roasted Green Beans with Mushrooms, Balsamic and Parmesan – Kalyn’s Kitchen
12. Roasted Broccoli with Hoisin Dipping Sauce – The Lemon Bowl
13. Miso Roasted Brussels Sprouts – The Foodie Physician
14. Roasted Brussels Sprouts – Ina Garten
15. Roasted Parmesan Zucchini – do it Delicious with Jessica Seinfeld
16. Roasted Beets – Caroline Kaufman Nutrition
17. Roasted Balsamic Vegetables – Harvard School of Public Health
18. Quinoa with Caramelized Butternut Squash and Roasted Brussels Sprouts – Iowa Girl Eats
19. Crispy Kale Roasted Autumn Salad with Brie Grilled Cheese Croutons – Half Baked Harvest
20. Maple Syrup Kissed Roasted Vegetables – Caroline Kaufman Nutrition
21. Pan-fried Sole & Mixed Wild Rice With Roasted Grapes (Gluten Free) – Snixy Kitchen
22. Thomas Keller’s Favorite Simple Roast Chicken – Epicurious
23. Balsamic Roast Chicken with Cauliflower Smashed Potatoes – Caroline Kaufman Nutrition
24. Bundt Pan Roasted Chicken & Vegetables – Iowa Girl Eats
25. Herb-Roasted Chicken Breast – American Institute for Cancer Research
26. Roasted Chicken Thighs with Lemon and Oregano – Bon Appetit
27. Quick Roast Chicken and Root Vegetables – EatingWell
28. Naan Pizzas with Garlicky Roasted Tomatoes and Ricotta – Jenny Shea Rawn: My Cape Cod Kitchen
29. Roasted Vegetable and Black Bean Tacos – Recipe Girl
30. Roasted Strawberry S’mores – Cooking with Books
Pin Me to Remember These Recipes! –>