In an attempt to throw together a dessert that required minimal hot kitchen time (um, it’s 100 degrees out), I mixed up a one bowl chocolate cake and layered pieces with fresh, seasonal raspberries and light whipped cream. To keep the dessert mini, I portioned the parfaits into miniature glasses.
By the way, a good tip to keep a lid on snack sizes is to scoop a handful into a teacup or small bowl. If you want more, refill the same amount or less each time. Try to find a container that makes your snack look plentiful – you’ll likely feel more satisfied if you feed your hungry eyes too. If your container is large and it looks like you’re only eating a few measly bites, you’ll be inclined to eat much more.
Note: There are no eggs in the cake – the vinegar-baking soda reaction mimics the rise you get from eggs. Don’t worry, you can’t taste the apple cider vinegar at all!
Gooey Chocolate Cake:
Ingredients for Cake:
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar
- 4 ounces finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk dry ingredients through sugar in a large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients.
- Finally, stir in chocolate.
- Pour batter into a greased 9-inch round cake pan or 8×8 inch square.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- When cool, remove squares for parfait as needed.
To assemble parfait: Layer chocolate cake, whipped cream and raspberries twice.