Hi friends! It’s lunch date time! A day set aside for a review of last week’s health news & recipes, plus a little bit about me.
In this post, you’ll learn…
- Whether it’s bad to go to bed hungry
- About changes to the cholesterol recommendations
- How many calories people typically eat at Chipotle
- If meditation can help insomnia
- How to make healthier comfort food recipes
- 10 ways to use shredded chicken to make a quick weeknight meal
And much more!
But First…What I’ve Been Up To:
My friend hosted a beautiful dinner party on Oscar night, and presented creative dishes like truffle salt + fresh rosemary popcorn, zucchini noodles with pistachio arugula pesto, roast chicken, and roasted butternut squash and red onion with tahini and za’atar. Isn’t her popcorn maker ADORABLE? I love.
The Jasmine rice in my pantry was calling for me, so I decided to use whatever I had in my refrigerator to make a grain bowl for dinner. I typically make whole grain rice, but there’s nothing like Jasmine when you’re craving some comfort food. This turned out to be…outstanding. Seriously. I cannot wait to make it again! Here’s the recipe: Stir thin slices of celery into warm Jasmine rice, and top with 1-2 poached eggs, and roasted butternut squash**. Sprinkle on nori fumi (seaweed) furikake rice seasoning* and drizzle with a little soy sauce and a swirl of sriracha.
*I got the rice seasoning at Gelson’s, and it looks like it’s also available at Walmart, most Asian supermarkets, World Market and Wegmans.
What I’m Reading:
Food, Nutrition & Health:
- Nutrition Panel Calls for Less Sugar and Eases Cholesterol Restrictions – The New York Times
- Coconut Oil: Is It as Healthy As You’ve Heard? – Be Truly Nourished
- 5 Foods for a Healthy Heart – Holley Grainger
- Nestle USA to Remove Artificial Ingredients from Candy – The Wall Street Journal
- Egg Yolks: Love ‘Em or Leave ‘Em? – The Nutty Nutritionist
- Food Spotlight: Snap Peas – Be Truly Nourished
- Nutrition Panel: Egg With Coffee Is A-OK, But Skip The Side of Bacon – NPR
- Is It Bad to Go to Bed Hungry? – POPSUGAR featuring advice by C&J Nutrition
- Frozen Fruit is..Hot! The stunning rise of frozen fruit – Food Navigator
- 7 R.D. Approved Ways to Reduce Sugar Intake – Run to the Finish (guest post by The Lean Green Bean)
- At Chipotle, How Many Calories Do People Really Eat? – The New York Times
- Consumers Prefer Homemade Breakfast to Ready-to-Eat Packaged Goods, Dataessential Found – Food Navigator (If that’s true for you, I’ve got loads of breakfast recipes for you to browse!)
Living / Home:
- 6 Ways to Decorate Your Rental Without Losing Your Deposit – Oprah (and if you like that, check out my post: Simple Ways to Reorganize Your Rental Kitchen)
- Will Hand-Washing Dishes Help Your Child Avoid Allergies? – Health Day
- How to Build a Bathtub Caddy – My Crafty Spot
- Five Tips For Making The Impossible Possible – Functional Girl
- Mindfulness, Meditation Helps Fight Insomnia, Improves Sleep – Harvard Health Publications
- Meditation Helps Sleep Disturbance, Cuts Fatigue, Depression – Medscape
- 10 Tips for Making a Move Easier with Children – Functional Girl
- Healthy Feeding Tips for Happy Toddlers – Enjoy Every Bite
Business & Blogging:
What I’m Salivating Over:
- Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats – Free People
- Healthy Breakfast Porridge Recipes to Start the Day – Huffington Post
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Smoothie – Kara Lydon, The Foodie Dietitian
- Vanilla Almond Overnight Quinoa – Simply Quinoa
- Chai Chocolate Oatmeal – Well Plated by Erin
Breads & Muffins:
- Bake Fresh Sourdough Bread at Home – Food & Nutrition
- Greek Yogurt Blueberry Banana Bread – Nosh and Nourish
- No-Bake Energy Bites – The Fountain Avenue Kitchen
- Cheddar & Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini Recipe – Jenna Braddock RDN
- Cozy Comfort Food Roundup – The Foodie Physician
- Maple Dijon Baked Salmon – Cookin’ Canuck
- 21 Lightened Up! Comfort Food Recipes – Gimme Some Oven
- Skinny Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini Noodles – Just a Taste
- 10 Ways to Use Shredded Chicken for an Easy Weeknight Meal – Love & Zest
- Cauliflower Tots – Skinnytaste
- Panko Crusted Cauliflower Bites – Chocolate Slopes
- Grilled Zucchini and Mushrooms – Natasha’s Kitchen
- Chocolate Cranberry Bark – Meal Makeover Moms (for more dark chocolate bark recipes, see my guest post over at The Lean Green Bean!)
- Candied Orange Peels – Saveur
- Almond Butter Chocolate Brown Rice Chow – NourishRDs
- Strawberry Dessert Bruschetta with Toasted Coconut – BHG Delish Dish
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies – Add a Pinch
- Peanut Butter & Banana Chocolate Pudding Cups – Teaspoon of Spice
I Asked, You Answered!
The first thing I drink in the morning is…
- “Water, technically. Then coffee.” – @SweetheartsSts
- “Water, always. There was one morning recently in a new mummy haze, I had tea before water, oops.” – @KateBearse
- “Usually a glass of water and later a Starbucks coffee on the weekends.” – @Badd_Adam
- “Blended iced coffee with SF caramel syrup. Fail proof way to get me out of bed.” – @KaileyP_RD2BE
- “Water” – Sandy Headtke on Facebook (winner of the heart bowl giveaway!)
- “Coffee – honey sweetened” – Oscar Rodriguez Gonzalez on Facebook
- “2 cups of Nespresso” – Jim Meisel on Facebook
Lots of water drinkers out there! I have an Americano with low-fat milk first. I love everything about it. The sound of the coffee maker, the smell of the espresso and the warm mug in my hand. When I’m feeling fancy, I add cinnamon.
What do you drink first thing in the morning?
Keep In Touch!