Hello friends! Welcome back to another Wednesday news & recipe roundup. It’s lunch date time!
Fun fact: It’s National Grapefruit Month! Did you know that grapefruit got its name because it grows in clusters like grapes?
In this post, you’ll learn…
- Supplements may contain undeclared allergens
- Children are getting kidney stones – what’s causing them?
- Ideas for having a more peaceful food shopping experience with your kids
- 5 Healthy snacks to keep on hand
But First…What I’ve Been Up To:
(L-R): (1) Adding an orchid to my buffet created instance calm. (2) My clementine contribution to a Super Bowl party. They’re naturally vibrant and beautiful, and can satisfy a sweet tooth. (3) The cutest photo on instagram this week, reposted from Giselle’s account.
What I’m Reading:
Food, Nutrition & Health:
- People with food allergies should be very careful when choosing supplements, which may contain undeclared ingredients. GNC, Target, Wal-Mart, Walgreens have been accused of selling adulterated “herbals” – The New York Times
- What’s In Those Supplements? – The New York Times
- I see a trend coming…Sales of sprouted grains to reach $250 million in five years, expert predicts – Food Navigator
- More children developing kidney stones; diet may be culprit – Chicago Tribune
- White potatoes should be allowed under WIC, says IOM report – EurekAlert
- I really enjoyed this post by my friend and fellow Registered Dietitian, Cynthia Sass: 6 Things You Should Know About Working With a Nutritionist – Health Magazine
- The Oat: A Tribute – Caitlin W Howe
- 15 Classic Mixing Bowls with Pouring Spouts – The Kitchn
- A Better Way to Store Trash Bags: Hang Them on a Roller! – The Kitchn
- The Only Baby Book You’ll Ever Need – The New York Times
- 10 Great Ideas for Getting Your Kids Involved in Grocery Shopping – Catherine McCord (of Weelicious) for the Food Network
What I’m Salivating Over:
- Armenian Inspired Meatballs – Style & Chocolates
- Lemon Chicken Romano – Cooking Classy
- Almond Crusted Chicken with Strawberry Balsamic Sauce – Cooking Classy
- Chopped Chicken Sesame Noodle Bowls – Pinch of Yum
- Pea Guacamole and Seared Halloumi Soft Tacos – Salt & Wind
- Ginger Coconut Poached Pears with Maple Glazed Walnuts – Nourish RDs
- Chocolate Covered Dried Fruit – Hip Foodie Mom
- Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies – Nutritious Eats
- Healthy Molasses Cookies – Eat, Live, Thrive
- Hedgehog Shortbread Cookies with Chocolate + Walnut – Six in the Suburbs