Hi friends. It’s already time for another mid-week news roundup! Thank you for finding time in your busy day to catch up.
Here’s my collection of articles and recipes from the last week, from the importance of shutting off your cell phone during meals to a recipe for Grinch fruit kabobs.
I hope you find it helpful!
My Latest Press:
- My article for The Huffington Post hit 42,000 likes and has been shared on Facebook 14,840 times. Thank you so much for supporting my post and sharing it!! If you haven’t yet, check out The 14 Foods You’ve Been Storing All Wrong.
What I’m Reading:
Food, Nutrition & Health:
- Doctors Dole Out Prescription for Exercise – Laura Landro for The Wall Street Journal
Top-selling eye vitamins found not to match scientific evidence – American Academy of Opthamology in Science Daily
Mobile device use leads to few interactions between mother and child during mealtime – Boston University Medical Center in Science Daily
- Move over coconut water, says WTRMLN WTR boss – Elaine Watson for Food Navigator
2015 will see veggies appearing in unexpected places & more demand for healthy foods – Elizabeth Crawford for Food Navigator
Smoked spices, sour cherries and pickled ginger: McCormick unveils flavor trends to watch in 2015 – Elaine Watson for Food Navigator
Sprouted flours are ‘the next big thing,” baker Peter Reinhart predicts – Elizabeth Crawford for Food Navigator
- 5 ways to fight the winter holiday bulge – Gabriella Boston for The Washington Post
- Organic Farming Boom Stretches Certification System: USDA Farms Out Inspections, but Thoroughness is Questioned – Caelainn Barr for The Wall Street Journal
- L.A. Unified to ban the purchase of chickens raised with antibiotics – Teresa Watanabe for Los Angeles Times
What I’m Salivating Over:
Breads & Muffins:
- Fennel and Orange-Scented Challah – The New York Times
- Gingerbread Loaf with Orange Zest Cream Cheese Frosting – Sprinkled with Jules
- Whole Grain Pumpkin Gingerbread – Nourish RDs
- Honey and Tangerine Whipped Goat Cheese Crostini – The Lemon Bowl
- Whole Grain Chex Mix – An Avocado a Day
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup – The Fountain Avenue Kitchen
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup – Ellie Krieger
- Mediterranean Kale, Cannellini and Farro Stew – Cooking Classy
- A Spiralized Holiday: 5 healthy recipes to try ASAP – Well + Good
- Chicken Wild Rice Casserole – Pinch of Yum
- Easy Salted Oat Fudge – Cookie + kate
- Raspberry Crumble Bars – Ina Garten
- 3-Ingredient Almond Butter Cookies – Skinnytaste
- Gingerbread Granola – The Law Student’s Wife
- Chocolate Cinnamon Sugar Pull Apart Bread – What’s Gaby Cooking
- Flourless Double Chocolate Brownies – Running With Spoons
- Chocolate Pistachio Thumbprints – Fit Foodie Finds
- Peanut Butter Raisin Bars – Meal Makeover Moms
- Nutty Dark Chocolate Bark – Eat Real Food
- Grinch Fruit Kabobs – Produce for Kids
All of these recipes & many MANY more on my Pinterest page. Follow me on Pinterest!
Photos From the Week:
I just got back from a road trip to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon. It was my first time in both places. In Vegas, we ate great food, walked around the strip, visited the Pawn Stars shop, watched the Bellagio fountains, worked out every day, and ate 1/12th of the largest ice cream sundae I’ve ever seen in my life. At the Grand Canyon, we hiked down to Ooh Aah point, a beautiful vista about 3/4 mile below the rim. We listened to all of the podcasts of Serial on the road too – can’t wait for the last episode tomorrow…
Here are some photos from the last few days:
I hope to see you for another mid-week lunch date next Wednesday!
“Be nice to yourself. It’s hard to be happy when someone is mean to you all the time.” ~Christine Arylo