Hi friends! Welcome back to another mid-week news roundup. Thanks for finding time in your busy day to catch up.
Here’s my collection of articles and recipes from the last week, from Thanksgiving shortcuts to the link between positive self-talk and weight loss.
I hope you find this helpful!
What I’m Reading:
Food, Nutrition & Health:
- A Lack of Bacteria Can Make You Overweight – Wall Street Journal (this is emerging research and not proven – ignore the sensational headline)
- Thanksgiving Shortcuts: 5 Things to Buy to Help You Save Time – The Kitchn
- General Mills in Settlement Over 100% Natural Claim – Wall Street Journal
- The effect of fiber supplementation on irritable bowel syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis – Moayyedi et al., American Journal of Gastroenterology, September 2014
- All About Ghee – Nutrition Diva, Quick & Dirty Tips
- The Worst Place to Look for Weight-Loss Advice – Women’s Health
- 8 Awesome Whole Grains You’re Not Eating – Cynthia Sass for Health
Mindfulness & Positivity:
- Positive self-talk: a key piece to the weight loss puzzle – Discover Good Nutrition
For the Home:
- How to Make a Gallery Wall – Peanut Butter Fingers
- Room Decor Ideas: Inspiration from 10 Dining Rooms with 10 Different Styles – Apartment Therapy
What I’m Salivating Over:
- Roasted Butternut Squash, Quinoa, Cranberry and Pecan Salad – The Soul of Health
- Mediterranean Kale, Cannellini and Farro Stew – Cooking Classy
Apps & Sides:
- Skinny Cheese Spinach, Artichoke, and Mushroom Dip – Iowa Girl Eats
- Roasted Green Beans with Beets, Feta, and Walnuts – Better Homes & Gardens
- Roasted Mushrooms Recipe with Tarragon Vinaigrette – Kalyn’s Kitchen
- One Pot Spanish Chicken and Potatoes – Pinch of Yum
- Grilled Chicken Recipe with Tarragon-Mustard Marinade – Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Brussels & Butternut Naan Pizza – Love & Zest
- Peanut Butter Oat Cookies – BeginWith Nutrition
- Passion Fruit Meringue Tart – Love and Olive Oil
- No Bake Cranberry Orange Cheesecakes – My Baking Addiction
- Gingerbread Snacking Cake – Smitten Kitchen
- Pecan Pumpkin Raisin Scones – Eat Live Run
- Flourless Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake with Raspberry Sauce – Jenny Shea Rawn: My Cape Cod Kitchen
- Thanksgiving Stuffed Mushrooms – Simply Playful Fare
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Squash with Dried Cranberries and Dijon Vinaigrette – Blogging Over Thyme
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash – BeginWith Nutrition
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples, Hazelnuts & Brown Butter Dressing– The Kitchn
- Healthy Holiday Side-Dish Recipe Roundup – Nourish RDs
- Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Candied Walnuts – Pinch of Yum
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Crispy Corn Flake Topping – Attune Foods
- Sweet Potato Casserole Gets a Healthy Makeover – The Meal Makeover Moms
- Maple Pumpkin Cornbread – The Nutritious Kitchen
- 15 Meatless Thanksgiving Recipes – Cookie and kate
- Classic Sage & Onion Stuffing – The Kitchn
- Wild Mushroom Stuffing – What’s Gaby Cooking
- Grilled Bread Dressing with Cranberries & Leeks – The Kitchn
- Apple Cranberry Crumble Pie – Joy the Baker
- Mini Pumpkin Pies with Chocolate Graham Crusts – Attune Foods
All of these recipes & many MANY more on my Pinterest page. Follow me!
Photos From the Week:
Clockwise from Top Left:
I had a really fun dinner with LA media RD friends McKenzie Hall (of Nourish RDs), Patricia Bannan, Lori Zanini, Ruth Frechman, and Laura Hershey and fabulous RD-to-be and blogger Whitney English (To Live & Diet in L.A. <–check out her blog!) We went to Hugo’s in West Hollywood, which specializes in vegan & vegetarian food and is super accommodating to menu substitutions. And they serve champagne in mini-bottles. Which of course I had.
On Friday, I was the nutrition expert for a health fair at an investment bank. I brought along two handouts geared toward busy people who want to eat healthy: 20 snacks under 200 calories and seven 15-minute meals. I also displayed some of the quick-cooking cookbooks I own. My favorite is Weeknight Wonders by Ellie Krieger – all the meals are delicious, healthy, and under 30 minutes!
I picked up some great stuff at the farmer’s market this weekend – lots of different colors, which all provide different antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
And I just loved this shirt. Sometimes, you’re just there for the savasana (a relaxation pose in yoga). And that’s totally ok.
My flash tattoos (metallic temporary tattoo jewelry) came in the mail! They’re so fun! The feather on my wrist is my favorite. They’re really easy to apply and remove. Love ’em.
And check out page 201 in the December Cosmopolitan for my advice on how to stay Hot & Healthy this holiday season!
Be well! I’ll see you for another mid-week lunch date next Wednesday!
And check back on Thursday for a recipe roundup on how to makeover Thanksgiving leftovers!