Since I’ve been getting cozy with my cookies, I felt like a healthy lunch was in order. I got a box of vegetables from Boston Organics yesterday and it had the most perfect bouquet of asparagus inside. So, for lunch today, I boiled up some whole wheat linguini and mixed it with asparagus and shiitake mushrooms sautéed in garlic. I threw it into a tupperware container, topped it with some Parmesan cheese and parsley, and headed out the door.
Shiitake mushrooms are incredibly flavorful so between their earthy taste and the asparagus, this meal has a rustic heartiness to it that’s really satisfying.
1 bunch of asparagus
1 3.5oz container of shiitake mushrooms
Garlic (i used 1 1/2 teaspoons of minced garlic. You can also mince 1 1/2 cloves of fresh garlic)
Whole wheat linguini (I used 2 handfuls of pasta. You can eye it depending on how much you want to eat/make)
Freshly grated Parmesean cheese (there really is no substitute for the taste of freshly grated, but other forms will work too) Parsley to garnish (I dusted the top with freezedried parsley. When it hits something warm, it plumps right up)
**If you would like, go ahead and use your favorite sauce with this dish!
- Boil water for the pasta
- Wash the asparagus and mushrooms. Cut off the very bottom of the asparagus. Cut the woody stems off of the mushrooms and discard. Slice the mushrooms into bite-size pieces.
- Pour oil into a skillet and heat until hot on medium-high
- Add the asparagus and heat on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Move the asparagus around with some tongs or a fork to cook evenly.
- Add the mushrooms and the garlic. Sautee until cooked. The mushrooms will shrink a little and turn a wet, golden color when they’re cooked. If they’re done before the pasta, turn the heat down to low and keep warm.
- When the water’s boiling, add the pasta and cook according to the package. Drain and return to the pot.
- Remove the asparagus and cut into bite-size pieces. For the thick part of the stem, you can slice those in half lengthwise (easier to eat that way!)
- Combine the pasta, asparagus, mushrooms, and garlic in the pot. Add freshly grated parmesean cheese to taste. Serve and top with parsley. (or throw it in a reusable container and take it with you for lunch!)