Happy Technique Tuesday-on-a-Thursday!
|Grain-Free Banana Bread|
This week, Abigail at The Soul of Health gives us an easy recipe for healthy, homemade banana bread (grain-free!) and explains the three basic ingredients you need to create your own versions.
If you’re in the quick-bread baking mood, you can also check out one of my all-time favorite recipes straight from Paris – honey spice bread. It’s flavored with warming spices like cloves, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg, and sweetened with a little brown sugar. More bread-like than cake. Awesome with tea on a chilly weekend.
And now, here’s Abigail with this week’s Technique: How to Make Banana Bread:
This week for Technique Tuesday it’s all about banana bread! I grew up eating my moms delicious banana bread and have enjoyed it ever since! I love that banana bread is the perfect base for so many flavors – I have made Peanut Butter Banana Bread, Pumpkin, Coconut, Chocolate, Hazelnut and the list goes on and on!
I have found there are three ingredients that must be included in any successful banana bread recipe:
- Ripe bananas: The browner and riper the better! This gives it the sweetness and the depth of flavor that only super-d-duper ripe bananas can bring.
- Flour: Seriously, any type of flour! I have experimented with a bunch of different ones and they all have turned out great! Coconut Flour, almond meal, whole wheat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, flax meal, gluten free flour, white flour, cornmeal and the list can go on and on. As long as you have some sort of “flour” (to my knowledge), the bread should turn out!
- Fat: Again, any type of fat source will do – Usually recipes call for oil but in this recipe I used coconut oil. In addition to the eggs, the fat helps to give it that amazing ooey-gooeyness that we all love about banana bread. The trick is to remember you don’t always have to use a ton. Most recipes will call for ~1/4 – ~1/3 cup. You can usually replace half with applesauce or Greek yogurt.
With those three ingredients, you can go crazy with your banana bread or go completely traditional.
Here is my new favorite banana bread recipe! It is super ooey-gooey, it has the perfect banana-y flavor and it’s super simple! An A++ in my book!
Delicious Grain Free Banana Bread
|Perfect for a Snack with a Cup of Tea!|
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- a dash or two of sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 medium bananas (ripe)
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
2. Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium size bowl and set aside.
3. Mash the bananas in a small bowl (I used a fork but you can be fancy and use a potato masher )
4. Melt the coconut oil on the stove top or microwave.
5. Mix ALL ingredients together including the wet ingredients you have not touched and the ones that you have set aside.
6. Mix well and pour into a greased loaf pan.
7. Bake for 45 mins to 1 hour. I would check it after 45 minutes. Mine was done fast.