If you pack a lunch everyday, you know it can quickly turn into a revolving door of staples – turkey sandwich, tuna sandwich, pb&j…the usual. That can get pretty boring. I know – I’m kind of stuck in the revolving door myself right now.
Thankfully, The Recipe Redux (a monthly recipe challenge) asked its bloggers to post their favorite easy, healthy lunches so you can get ideas from not just mine – but tons of other home kitchens as well. The challenge prompted me think outside the box a little – and luckily, a quick scan of my fridge revealed a winning combination of flavors: sliced cucumber, carrot sticks, beefsteak tomato, cheese, and hummus. This sandwich is SO good it’s kind of crazy. It’s definitely going into my lunch rotation. I hope it finds its way into yours.
- 2 slices of hearty whole grain bread
- 2 slices of tomato
- Sliced hothouse cucumber (the tiny seed kind that comes wrapped in plastic)
- Shredded or thinly sliced carrots (halved baby carrots work fine)
- Hard, sharp cheese (I used Kerrygold Dubliner)
- Smear most of the hummus on one side of bread and a little bit on the other half.
- Layer with cheese, cucumber, tomatoes and carrots.
- Top with the other slice of bread.
What’s your favorite lunchtime sandwich?
Check out the other Redux bloggers lunch recipes for more ideas: