Disclosure: I am a paid spokesperson for California Strawberries and was compensated for this post.
Frozen waffles aren’t just for breakfast anymore. In just a few minutes, you can turn them into a seemingly decadent strawberry shortcake, without cooking or making a mess of your kitchen. For reals. My version is much healthier – and way, way faster to prepare – than traditional strawberry shortcake. Strawberries are naturally sweet but low in sugar (one serving has less than half the sugar of an apple and half the calories of a banana), so you get a lot of sweetness from just the berries themselves.
If you have California strawberries in your refrigerator, it’s easy to whip up a healthy snack or dessert with whatever you have on hand. They’re available year-round (unlike many other fruits, summer isn’t the end of strawberry season in the U.S.) and delicious in sweet and savory dishes (or by themselves). Strawberries are a versatile fruit that can help you keep your nutrition resolutions in check. Happy 2017 everyone!
- ½ lemon
- 1-1/2 cups fresh California strawberries, cleaned and sliced
- 3 tsp granulated sugar
- 3 frozen whole grain waffles
- Whipped cream, Greek yogurt, or homemade whipped coconut cream* (see note)
- Juice the lemon
- Macerate the strawberries: In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, sliced strawberries, and sugar. Stir and let sit for 30 minutes.
- When the berries are done, toast three waffles.
- Plate the first waffle and top with ⅓ of the strawberry mixture and whipped cream (as much as you prefer). Top with the second waffle and add another ⅓ of the strawberries and more whipped cream.
- Top with the last waffle, then add whipped cream and finish with the rest of the strawberries. Pour any remaining juice on top.
What you'll need:
1 can of coconut milk
2. ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
3. 1-2 teaspoons of honey
1. Refrigerate a can of coconut milk for five hours
2. Spoon out the thick top layer and add to a small bowl
3. In the small bowl, add vanilla extract and honey
4. Whip the coconut cream mixture until fluffy
For a round-up of more #FreshorFrozen recipes and a chance to win a $200 Target card, visit the California Strawberries site